Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Is he having an affair?

My hubby informed me that he had to finish his year-end report and that he'd be back late. It was due the next day and it had to be completed. The week before he was also finishing a report. And although I knew my hubby to be telling the truth, the devil in me got my imagination working overtime.
Immediately after putting down the phone, I was thinking, "Hmm, is he having an affair? Is this his way of easing in into an affair? First, it starts with working late into the wee hours of morning. And then later, he'll tell me he has to go outstation, and then probably he'll change jobs and work in a different state where he can lead a double life."
Oh oh oh, what a horrible imagination I've got. And this is not the first time. At one time, I remember that even the thought of him hanging out with his guy friends worried me coz some guys can go two-ways, if you get what I mean. And if you've watched Oprah, she did one exclusive episode on guys who went on the 'down low'. They claim they are not gay, yet their secret rendezvous was with other men, and doing it! And they are happily married guys here. That's why they don't feel like they are cheating on their wives. But the fact that they are hiding this secret lifestyle shows that subconsciously they know they are doing something not right here.
The point of this little admission here is that I think it's normal for women to have these fears and I have shared these thoughts with friends and they have the same concerns too. But the trick is according to my mom is not to confront the guy and talk about it because basically, it IS so far all in your mind. It's better to just observe your hubby if the late night working still continues. Notice how he dresses, how he smells, how he behaves etc.; does he talk a lot on the mobile phone? Ask yourself, "What is out of the ordinary?"
If you do harp on it and it happens, imagine what the guy would say, "I didn't do anything and yet still, you treated me as if I did with all the interrogation and stuff; so might as well do it!"
I know of a story of a lady who always used to tell her hubby, "If you don't like the way things are, go marry one more laa" and of course guys being guys took it literally guess what, he did and the young wife was half her age. They divorced, FYI. So, the moral of the story is that how one communicates is also important. And if it hasn't happened yet, don't treat it like it's happened already.

2 comments:

The Hand That Holds The Quill... said...

"I didn't do anything and yet still, you treated me as if I did with all the interrogation and stuff; so might as well do it!"

oh how this is so true! My hubby has the same mind set! Is this like a guy's thing? Do they all really think this way?

Anyway, yes i agree with u Ju that we shouldn't jump the gun. Observe and maintain communication. Also my belief is for us as wives to think good things about our hubby. When we send them off at the gate, just take a moment to watch their car disappear while silently pray for the good things. Sometimes, a wife's thoughts, be it good or bad, can be a 'doa', so let's always think positive of our husbands so they become/remain a good husband.

Sorry I think I'm going in circles. haha but hope you get what i mean. ;)

Halwafy said...

Sigh.

What good advice. I hate to admit it but I do say things like..'tak suka pi cari pompuan lain..' Argh!! I know its bad - it sounds just like a challenge doesn't it...?

I really shld never say this again...