Sunday, December 03, 2006

Nobody's Perfect

My mother had an argument recently with my dad. Tongue in cheek, I said, "So old, still fight ah?" which translates "You're so old and you still fight?"
My mom said, "Hey, we're not dead yet; of course we still fight. Luckily your father knows how to pujuk (make up with) me. (Some details: not x-rated, just mushy and not important to the story)"
I said, "As you usually say laa, that's his saving grace."
"Well nobody's perfect," my mom answered, "if he doesn't have a saving grace, then what’s the point of staying married?”

I guess I have to agree with her that NOBODY'S PERFECT, and that's why I guess we just need someone who, and I quote Jerry Macguire, "completes me" or in other words complements me, rather than hunt the world for a MR PERFECT or MS PERFECT.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that one man's meat is another man's poison. I know it's cliche but it's true. Back in uni, I got 2 friends. Let's call one X and the other Y. Both are good friends of mine and both are nice people. And though they know each other and get along quite well with each other, they are simply acquaintances. Anyway, X dates Z and they broke up. Now X hates Z, hates the sight of Z, and well, basically you get the idea.
After some time, I don't know who pursued who but Y and Z become a couple, and while I only saw 2 people fighting in the first relationship, I saw 2 people in lurve in the second. I guess the second couple is more compatible.

For me, compatibility is not so much sharing the same interests as me, coz that would be boring but I think our VALUES have got to be similar. Ooh, let’s take MONEY for example. Imagine, if I spend money like water and the guy is a tightwad. We’re gonna have problems. BIG problems. See, the way we view MONEY would be different. We’re gonna be fighting all the time until somebody gives in. That’s why, there also has got to be give and take in the relationship and most importantly, COMMUNICATION. Meaning to say, I talk, you listen and you talk, I listen and we take note. Communication is the key to change. If we’re all talking and nobody’s registering, then, that wouldn’t be communication. OR nobody talks, you just keep it all suppressed until you can’t stand the sight, the voice, the smell of that person. Nothing he or she does is right anymore. It’s horrible!

Do you know who’s my favourite TV COUPLE?
Guess if they are the couple from
A. Mad about You
B. Everybody Loves Raymond
C. Home Improvement
D. King of Queens
E. My Wife and Kids

The answer is Tim the Toolman Taylor and his wife Jill from Home Improvement. Do you know why? He’s so totally not perfect and a klutz too! They do argue a lot but they try to reason out why the other is upset and come up with a solution, sometimes with the help from their neighbour, Wilson. And they are loving. Marriage is not a bed of roses without weeding and nurturing and watering. It’s hard work but worth it.

No comments: